After much agonizing, pondering and weighing pros and cons, I have finally been able to push aside all my misgivings and come to a decision. I have decided to open my blog back up to random readers. Many of you were there when I had it restricted, when I only offered my writings to those who I knew gave a crap. I did so with a sense of security that not just anyone could read of the important (most often trivial) things that plagued my life (which included a goodly amount of smack talkin' as well). I, naively, had assured myself that what I wrote (in particular the smack talk) was being read, talked over by others who read the blog yet secured within the wall of trust that was created by default of being in the same circle. I was sorely mistaken on this account (If you read back to "The Trip" entries, you will know exactly what I'm talking about).
Here's what I learned the hard way: You can't trust everyone, not even those you consider your 'friends' because they will, one drunken night, tell all when plied with enough alcohol to those outside of the circle, and in this case, particularily to those I wrote smack entries about.
Back then my disillusionment was great and I quickly set about locking down my settings and it has stayed thus for almost half the year. But with the advent of summer officially beginning and a new half year bearing down on us, I've figured that I have to let go, that if someone is going to take offense to anything I write then they can just stop reading. So that's what I have done.
You can now Google my blog. Actually I don’t know 100% how the mechanism of the search engine works but I believe that once you’ve had enough people clicking on your blog, then you become popular enough to come up on the first page of Google (I’m not sure, I’m probably wrong but this is my guess). Whatever it is, you should be able to find me (after a lot of hunting around). I believe I maybe on page 101 of 102. *shrugs* I can live with that.
So what’s made me open back up? Well first, no matter how much I love my readers (all 10 of them) not a single one makes comments and if not for my trusty Google Analytics where I keep tabs on who’s looking and who’s not I’d never know that even one person has wandered onto my page in the last year or two. Second, I’m bored. Third, I want to be popular on the net. I don’t care if most people are shaking their heads and thinking to themselves ‘but isn’t this supposed to be for you?’ Well in fact it is! Hence why I crave the popularity. I want present and future readers to walk away from reading my rambling thoughts with a sense of insight, with the sense that I have somehow altered their lives. Mmmm…my thinking is that most likely the only impact I’ll have is when something I have written may cause readers to snicker, grimace or plain snort in derision. Again, I can live with that.
Today is a momentous day I tell you. Not only have I opened my blog up again but along with that comes my heart, to the world and I shall be waiting with bated breath for those ‘life altering’ moments I spoke of above to materialize.
If you have one, let me know. I’ll blog about that too!
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm glad you are updating your blog again.
=)
I'm glad I can read your blog!
I support this. One more way for you to eventually become the published writer we know you should be.
Post a Comment