Monday, January 26, 2009

Close in Counter with the Hairy, Toothy, Gross Kind


Yeah, maybe not in the metro but hell...
Fo, Bellm and I decided that today was as good a day as any to have some Chinese food. It may be that time of year or something in the air but I find myself once again constantly craving the yumminess of some Kung Pao or crispness of Shrimp Toast...whatever it is, the 3 of us decided that we'd make the trek. Donning suitably warm clothes and braving the cold temps, we made our way briskly down the street towards Chinatown, struggling through the normal CT crowds we ended up in a perfectly respectable establishment that we have frequented many a times on prior occasions.

We quickly ordered the lunch special (me and Fo the Kung Pao Beef, Bellm the Chicken and Broccoli Hunan style which included soup and a spring roll). Warming cold hands on hot cups of tea we began consuming our soup and before even being done our entrees were served, steaming and wafting absolutely heavenly smells.

It was while I was gleefully crunching away on my spring roll when Fo jumped about 30 feet into the air, his face losing all color while Michelle nearly screamed, threw down her napkin and exclaimed loudly, “that’s it! I’m outta here!” I, who was sitting almost in a corner of some sort thought that one of the other patrons had just had a heart attack. Fruitlessly trying to crane my neck in order to see exactly what the hubbub was, I see a man zoom past us heading towards the general direction of the back of the restaurant where I believe the kitchen was located. I still wasn’t savvy to what was going on.

Looking around for clarification, I see that Fo is still a little ashen and appearing as if he's about to regurgitate his sweet n sour soup all over the table while Michelle is half way out the door with her coat on.

Me: what in the world…?
Fo: You didn’t see that?!?!
Bellm: Omg, I’m ready to go, we gotta go!
Me: What happened???
Fo: A rat, the size of a bus, just ran through here.

Ew.

We left of course even though the manager came over and said the food was free and on the house. Yeah, erm…no thanks. Free wasn't gonna salvage that meal.
Even as we were making a hasty retreat the manager, or whoever this guy was, followed us babbling in pure desparation, “we too are surprised, it must have come through the front door when someone else was walking in…really.” I’m thinking to myself, you’re telling me that the creature managed to climb up 5 stairs, get through ONE set of doors then ANOTHER and no one freakin’ noticed, not even the fool who opened the blasted door? Um…right.

We left, laughing nervously all the way. Still hungry, we went to Ruby’s Tuesday, retelling our story to our outraged waiter who assured us that their establishment had no rats (though why we thought he'd admit that they had is ridiculous) and ended up having lunch there. Michelle instructed me to keep an eye out on the floor for any hairy, toothy creatures, Fo managed to stop looking as if he was about to hurl chunks any moment and said that the thing was probably someones pet in the back and it had escaped while I eyed my lunch doubtfully. We had all ordered sliders. Now in hindsight I realize that I shouldn't have ordered anything that could resemble what cooked rat may/could/would look like. I managed to get one down (barely) while the others consumed theirs.

*sigh* I just LOVE this town.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

joys of living in a district with TONS of restaurants and rats.

=)