Why is it that the thought of jetting around the world for work is nicer than the actuality? I used to watch all the people who would zoom by me in the airport with their laptop bags and blackberry pressed to their ears talking a mile a minute about going here or doing that. I used to think wistfully, that’s so cool.
Let me just say for the record, I do NOT feel this way anymore. I’m usually busy scowling and looking put out. I pray that the person sitting next to me in the airplane isn’t Mr. or Miss. Chatty McChatty and that I get an upgrade so that I don’t have to deal with coach (I’m so damn spoiled I shock myself with it).
Anyhow, at least in Hong Kong I had friends who shared my forlorn attitude but for the last few weeks I’ve been traveling alone for the most part.
But I digress, I want to write about an unexpected event.
It’s rare that I get to spend any large amount of time in a hotel room but when I got back today after work, I peaked out the balcony and saw this:

There is a wedding today, clearly a very orthodox Jewish wedding. In fact, I’m noticing that the men are all sitting on one side of the aisle while the women on the opposite. Everything looks simple and lovely however I wonder, why on a random Thursday? Is there any religious ramifications? And why in the world near the airport? The planes are taking off in the distance but even so you can hear the revving of the engine as clearly as if they were next door. And the wind is ridiculous. It’s turning out to be quite a cold evening but all the females (old and young) are wearing lovely long gowns in an array of colors with crinoline and the bride (who had been out earlier taking pictures with her 1001 family members) looked so joyous. I had a moment when I found myself recalling my own wedding day.
I've never been witnessed to a Jewish ceremony, well at least not in real life though I've seen plenty of episodes of "A Wedding Story" where a couple was getting hitched under a hoopah but tonight I find myself suddenly witness to one. The hoopah is actually almost right below my balcony and I can hear everything. The father just sang some prayers, and now the uncle is going to read some text from the Torah. Everyone looks cold. I wish I could snap another pic.
The last reading was long. Everyone really looks cold and the light is quickly fading. Another prayer is being said in honor of the deceased? This is not like a christian wedding, they do not just say vows and it's all about the couple, them being center stage. Much like Muslim and Hindu weddings, there are tons of family surrounding them, even now as the couple stands under the hoopah. I can't see them for my vantage point but from what I do spy, they are all crowded together. Maybe it's for warmth? There are a lot of 'paying honor' to family members. Again I'm not sure if they are deceased or not. Wait, did the speaker say Dave Chapelle? That seems odd. Okay clearly I'm not listening clearly but I just saw the wedding planner go and tell 3 little girls who are taking advantage of the pool next door to be quiet. They were squealing loudly.
Oh, here's another honor, of the brides great uncle. Hmmm...wonder if anyone would ever honor me? I don't think I'd want to if it meant I would have to be dead. Nah, I'll pass. These people have some hard names. I can't distinguish even one. Aren't there any Bob's, Steve's or Ronald's in the entire lot? Someone is singing a prayer. And here they are honoring someone else. This person lives in Florida. Um...Florida? And why do I hear Hasan being mentioned over and over again. That can't be right also. Hell I know I clean my ears every morning during my shower so they are wax free...what am I hearing? Another prayer. It's been about 20 minutes since the wedding began and all they've been doing is honoring. In fact here's another honor. I believe the orator said it was the 'final' honor. Liar. I don't believe him.
Oh totally cool. I had no idea that throughout all the honoring the couple actually got married and I just heard the stomp and 'mazoltov's' shouted. Pretty cool.
Crap I have to get ready for dinner
On another note tonight I’m going out with D and The Wanker (yes, he’s made a reappearance in my life and I’m not thrilled about it either) for dinner tonight. We’re going to probably head south towards Manhattan Beach so that D can get her first real glimpse of the Pacific ocean. I’m excited to show her my fav L.A. spots.

1 comment:
I can't wait till you stop traveling for a bit...
=/
Post a Comment