She called me. I was shopping with the MIL. She said 'come and meet me and my friend.' I was happy for the release from the bonds of family for a moment. So I ran home, threw on a skirt, boots and a new black sweater and ran off.
Just seeing her, my friend, my long lost sperm from another mother, brought a smile of contentment to my lips. I missed her that whole previous week. I was startled to realize that not a week had gone by since we had first met that we didn't see each other at least once. I hadn’t appreciated how glad I was to see her sitting there in her pretty black sweater pulling on the hookah. And when I approached she jumped up and wrapped her arms around me and kissed me on my right cheek as I said “Hi Jaanu.” I believe she was as relieved to see me as I was to see her.
My eyes turned to her friend, a young woman with beautiful mocha colored unblemished skin, eyes that turned up exotically in the corners and a smile that could only be called sweet and open, who excused herself because she had a mouthful of food and looked intent upon consuming it all. She introduced me to her old roommate, someone’s arrival who my friend had anticipated greatly. She had told me from several days before how badly she wanted us to meet and had finally had the chance. I must admit that I always worry just a bit whenever I’m introduced to a friend’s friend. I’m always sure that I will fall short of the mark, that the hype of me is greater than the reality of me. But in this instance, I shouldn't have worried as I settled down crossing my booted legs, leaning back to expel a pent up breath. Pleasantries weren’t necessary, conversation natural and easy between the three of us as we passed the hookah around.
We talked about what they had done that day, what I had done, how they had met, how we had met and we talked in depth about men and men and oh yeah, men. The banter was light and fun, laughter erupting between us like geysers as we found kinship in our womanhood. But soon the conversation turned from the vapid almost raunchy to other deep topics that could have been a mood killer but it hadn’t been. Our discussion flowed so easily it was as if we had known each other for longer than but a moment (well at least her friend and I). There was a affiliation in those hours that are rare to find for we shared our beliefs and exchanged words of faith.
When I drove away, I felt almost excited. I had made a new friend and most importantly I had a chance to share my faith with two people who had equally strong faith.
I have decided that no night of drinking, dancing, flirting compared to a good night of conversation and camaraderie.
Sunday, October 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
i love you baby...you have no idea how happy Kita was in the car. we were breathing sighs of relief...
kita said she felt emotionally alive again.
=)
she said she just adored you and couldn't wait to come back!
Post a Comment