So I must have walked in with that brooding face from the drive in. Even the blasting of music hadn't helped at all. When I got off the elevator close to 10:15, to my horror my partner stood there.
"Hi R."
"Hi E."
We exchanged smiles, mine was weak though (most likely from the sudden guilt I was feeling over the fact that I had just been caught coming in seriously late by the man who had hired me and who was probably thinking to himself "what the hell!"). I guess I was already exhausted from the morning.
I went to visit with my assistant and she exclaimed over how nice my hair looked.
Really? Geez, who knew washing and blow drying it and putting more than 10 seconds of effort could wring compliments out of folks. I really ought to try it more often. I was happy for an instant.
Than one of the attorneys swept me up and we went to get coffee.
On the elevator ride to the 1st floor she told me that the partner had walked into her office moments before and told her, "I think R is upset about something, please ask her, see if she's okay, I'm worried."
I stared at her for a second.
How had he known? How could he have seen it in the split second that it took me to rearrange my face? I tried hard not to let him (or anyone else for that matter) see that anything was amiss. He had. I was touched and she cared too. Her face was clouded with worry as she asked me, probed me to tell her. I did.
Correction, I LOVE my bosses!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment