Thursday, October 25, 2007

You're one of my biggest comforts in life

There is something so comforting about being fully aware of those you love and who love you in return.

I was on my way home and I called her. She had been dozing or sleeping. When I suggested that we talk later she insisted that she was awake, "No I can talk."

I felt bad for disturbing her but I wanted to talk to her. For some reason, her voice can sooth me. Not many have that ability. In essence I'm a stubborn person but she, she can simply say one word or tilt her head to the side (like she does, her hair cascading down one shoulder when it’s long enough or the tips just brushing against the blades when it’s short) and look at me with her eyes large, totally focused on me and I just calm down because she has this strange inner peace or she projects it (whether she knows she’s doing it or not, I’m not exactly sure) and it often wraps itself around me, reminding me that nothing, absolutely nothing is as bad as I think.

I know I’ve said it before but I really miss seeing her more. And she reminds of how lucky I am to have her in my life.

We were busy recapping events. I needed to get her opinion but I had gotten home by that time and my family was there. So instead, I kicked off my heels and walked around in circles in the cul-de-sac. The weather was beautiful and I felt almost sad to have to go in so she gave me the perfect excuse to not.

I love that I can tell her everything and even if I were risking looking like the biggest biatch on earth, she never says so (though she could and I would be okay with it). Instead that night (as she had on 100’s of other occasions) she listened and gave her opinion (she’s so cute when she stutters because she’s about to say something she finds rather damning or judgmental or difficult to articulate). And I grinned into the phone and coaxed her to say it, whatever it was. “It’s okay sweetie, just say what you’re thinking.”

Thanks for that talk btw, I know you’re reading this.

Also:

Thanks for the moments on the phone where we share laughs and “I miss you gurl” comments and our problems all crammed in-between hectic life situations. Thanks for giving me the time to spew out my problems, dumbing down your own problems or issues for the moment. Thank you for truly LISTENING to me and finding my problems as important as…say the War on Terror (though I’d understand if that was not a tad bit more important ;-) ). Thank you for the ears that probably get talked off. Thank you for the smile that you give that warms and comforts me. Thank you for your soft generous nature that sooths me. Thank you for your wisdom that has talked me away from many edges. Thank you for tearing up when I am crying. Thank you for the sympathy when I needed it and the holding back of that sympathy when you probably thought it would come off as pity and I certainly did not need that. Thank you for the quiet confidence you have in me even when I have none at all. Thank you for recognizing all my grave flaws and forgiving me for them. Thank you for the unconditional support when others would have damned me to hell. Thank you for all your love and your friendship and sisterhood most of all.

Thank you for all the wonderfulness that is in essence…you.

No comments: