When you least expect it, happiness will find you. This wonderful theory was proven but a few scant hours ago.
She called early today, her voice low and hushed. She shot questions at me regarding what she should write. “What do you think?” She asked me as I tried to focus and come up with good answers. Upon hanging up the phone, I let out a little prayer (or so I think I did for I always say a little prayer for her) and asked Allah to bring to her a smile that was genuine and from the heart.
Later, she called me. Her voice sounded flat. “How did it go?” I asked her and she replied, “not bad.” Before I could launch into the comforting words that I had rehearsed in my head for her (“you’ve taken a proactive step,” “you wait and see, this’ll lead to something you’re meant for,” “don’t get disappointed that something didn’t fall into your lap immediately, this stuff takes time”) she said, “So…”
The end of that sentence came with “they hired me on the spot!”.
What? Excuse me? HUH?
Yeah, she was hired on the spot. The State Department no less. And before I could even say a word, the tears where there suddenly and I sat holding back a sob. My happiness couldn’t have been greater, nor my relief. Actually, I think my relief was truly greater than my happiness and for purely selfish reasons. I knew somewhere deep in my heart that this city had beaten her down so low, that even though she kept fighting, her fights were becoming soul-less. I was afraid that one day she would turn to me, throw up her arms and proclaim, “I’m done girl, stick a fork in me I'm done and I’m outta here.”
I didn’t want her to be ‘outta’ anywhere and most of all, from me. So now my heart beats regularly again and when we saw each other (of course I commanded her to come to me so that I could give her a big hug), we squealed like stuck pigs (in joy).
My sister from another sperm, you so rock. But I have 4 little words for you:
I told you so *gloats*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
well...government contractor who wants me to be the liason 'the face for them' in the state department...shit i will be at the MAIN state building...making contact and meeting people in person.
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
still hasn't hit me.
i love you.
you KNOW you and Mom and Sarvat were the only ones I called...
i LOOOOOVE you!
and on the way to meeting Travis after I left you, I thought to myself, 'all I need now is a hot man.'...
and 2 hours later a hot one asked for my number...
*thinks*
all I need now is a trip to Greece, and a boat, and a mansion, and a Lexus, and a zillion dollars....and...and...and...
;)
Allah Shukar!
Post a Comment