I believe my darling P had a moment such as the one captioned above. And besides the fact that normally I'm about the most cynical and pessimistic person alive (though I hide it astonishingly well) last night I found it impossible to stay so. I couldn’t come back with an appropriate line, nor laugh it off. No, I basically stood there with my heart radiating warmth. This is what happened….
I came home after a hard days work. It was Sunday so I wasn’t thrilled about it in the first place, the scowl wreathing my face attested to that fact. I couldn’t even meet my man and his buddy for dinner at one of the local kebab places because of a project I was working feverishly on. (Pets, Hong Kong is going to be the death of me yet, mark my words. If I’m barely alive when I get back, throw a party, immediately!)
But the minute I drove into the garage, I knew something was up. He popped his perfectly round head out the door that leads into the kitchen and called out a happy ‘hellooooo jaanu!’. Something was definitely happening here people. Either a.) he had broken/damaged/mutilated one of my precious valuables b.) had committed me to give legal advice (that I’m not allowed by law to give anyhow) to one of his friends c.) had committed us to going somewhere or doing something he knew I would hate or d.) was in the mood to do the deed. No matter the option, I wasn’t down for any of them. Not after festering in a hot office for the past 5.5 hours.
Anyhow, there I was standing in the middle of the kitchen when he swept me up into his arms to rain smooches on me. I wasn’t complaining but I couldn’t help but being alarmed. This is the man I’ve been married to for the last 11 years, I know him. His behavior: Odd.
He insisted that I divest of my belongings and take myself up to the bedroom and unwind while he warms dinner up for me. As you can imagine, my suspicion grows by leaps and bounds, to the point where I’m plodding up the stairs, my bag limp in my hand, my gait hesitant and a frown furrowing my face. Still I’ve never been one to not take advantage of a situation so I quickly rid myself of blackberry, phone, bag, shoes and don my beloved Winnie the Pooh night shirt, crawl into bed and flop down with a sigh. Oh heavenly haven of sleep wonderment!
He comes up bearing a plate of kebab and has even warmed the naan up. No cold food for his wife, he tells me. How nice, but what is he up to? I wonder.
After eating my fill, I throw him a long sideways glance and inquire, “what’s bringing on all this special treatment?”
He doesn’t take this question lightly as he mostly tends to do. In fact he remains silent for a bit, looking almost pensively at me, then says in his beloved voice, “I think I’m unappreciative of you.” My heart stutters to a stop I must admit. He tells me that his friend came over and saw our abode for the first time since we moved in (incidentally this is the same friend who was is our real estate agent so he saw the place as its ghostly former self) and had gone gonzo. He commented to P that he thought the house was stunning and that he was lucky cause P had a wife who had great taste, who was cool, fun to talk to…yadda yadda yadda.
The thing is, no matter how jaded, cynical and even sarcastic I am, these sorts of compliments warms the cockles of every woman’s (and men’s) hearts, so I was certainly no exception to the rule. Admit it! A well placed “you have the best taste in ____” is always appreciated, don’t you think?
So I blushed and looked away feeling rather awkward even in front of my husband especially in the face of such sweet flattery and given with no ulterior motives in mind. P said that in an instantt, it struck him how blessed he was to have me in his life.
Now imagine this, if he feels blessed w/me, how truly blessed I am to have him. My man is unlike any other in this world. He is the epitome of what is good and sweet and loving. He is unlike any other person I’ve ever known and even though sometimes I feel discontent with having been married for 11 years, I am not in the least discontent with the person whom I have been married to for 11 years.
I believe, one needs moments when they appreciate what they have. Not many cause then they’d be insufferable, but sometimes…yeah, just like that. A moment is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. so sweet. but the cynical woman in me can't help but notice that a man appreciates a woman only when he notices ANOTHER man appreciating her.
*taps foot*
they only want us a LOT when someone else does.
BASTARDS!
Post a Comment