Cleary folks it doesn't take much to bring me to giggling euphoria, which was proven today by the acquisition of a gorgeous towering bit of joy in the form of a Shisha.
It's absolutely beautiful! Standing about 2.5 feet tall with a burgundy glass etched base, crystal neck and a pewter bowl. It gleams in the light of the breakfast nook as I sit here sucking on it with a grin that surely suffuses my face a bit too widely.
P and I woke up this morning with a plan in mind that didn't include purchasing a Shisha. Well, not for him at least though I had harbored hopes that we would eventually get around to maybe scoping some out. I've been howling for weeks that I want one ("I want one, I want one, I want one damn it!"). Yes, yes I know a lot of you are probably saying to yourself, "but she already has one,” which is totally true. It is a beautiful black and copper concoction that my dearest Ammu hauled from Bangladesh. Unfortunately Crickets, the thing doesn't work for shit. She of course would never have known that the bloody thing produces hardly a weak mouthful of smoke and that the only ultimate use for it is of a more decorational nature than anything else.
Well as the day progressed and we wore our feet corny due to a mixture of rain and walking, P turned to me at the end of it and declared that we should go ahead and pick one up since we're out and about anyhow. My theory is that since I'll be leaving in a scant week for a month in Hong Kong, he's feeling all lovey towards me (I'm not complaining here).
The thing is, Shisha isn't the easiest thing in the world to find and if you know my man, he's a stickler for 'boxed' items. I mean any item whatsoever, be it a nail to furniture, has got to be brand spanking new and never been so much as breathed upon in order for him to dole out adequate compensation. Finding one hanging around in a box in NVA soon became a quest of sorts with maps, dragons and even the occasional ogre. At the end of the day a benevolent wise old man (in the form of a Halal meat store worker) knocked off 5 bucks (because the owner of the store absolutely adores yours truly) from the, yes brand spanking new, shisha (in a box), helped us assemble it and bade a fond farewell to it.
Now with the advent of my new one, the other one has a place of honor in my formal living room atop the new coffee table where people can gaze at it in awe. This new one will be placed in my warm cozy family room where people can also gaze at in awe but whilst utilizing it appropriately.
For those of you who have never partaken in Shisha, chai and conversation, do so quickly. Fly to your nearest shisha bar, order yourself up some really good kabab, make sure that the tobacco is Al-Faqr and sit back with a sigh and good friends. You will be pleasantly shocked as to how much interesting conversation is spurned over a good smoke.
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you forgot me already?
*sniff*
happy birthday to my favorite!
i love you and miss you and would give ANYTHING to chat with you on the phone right now. I can't call from my cell...can only text...
CALL ME!
PLEASE!
I MISS YOU!
ciao cow!
Post a Comment