Saturday, December 22, 2007

No wonder I was tired today

I’ve always loved the Christmas season as I’ve mentioned in prior posts. I have a tendency of looking at those who do not and think ‘Really? Really?’ with a slight cock (hehehe) of my head and a confused look suffusing my countenance. How is it even possible not to get at least marginally wound up in the darn season? If it isn’t the sights and sounds and colors that can get you, surely there are all the happy hours and holiday parties. One can’t help but being holly jolly with a free glass of wine clutched in one hand while sporting sparkly clothing with equally bling-ed out big ass jewelry that would blind the blind! It makes no never mind what religion you are, it’s infectious I tell you!

And speaking of holiday parties…one of my colleague’s hostess-ed her own holiday social which was erm…interesting, to say the least. Now we know by now that I’ve rarely been to a party which I’ve ever reported as being ‘boring’ or ‘dull’ or even one during which ‘I would have preferred to pull each and every nose hair out one by one with tweezers than sit here being subjected to this…’ (not that I’m saying it hasn’t had in the past but just not in my recent past). I’m relieved to report that my record for attending gosh darn good shindigs is still unblemished.

The problem with me is that I usually do get very excited about such plans but on the day of said event, I go through it mentally groaning. Again, no exception here because I found myself seriously contemplating skipping out and heading home in order to snuggle up to a good book and a cup of Chai (real chai, NOT the stuff that you get at these fancy shmancy café’s around town where they call them ‘Chai tea’ which is redundant as hell since the word ‘chai’ itself means tea *rolls eyes and snorts*). Anyhoo…E’s enthusiasm (and threats) had me tromping the 3 blocks from the office to her place with a bottle of wine clutched in my claws.

E had warned all of us about her love for the Xmas holiday in general and that this year in particular she decided to get in touch with her inner Martha Stewart and make some of own decorations instead of doing what the rest of us lazy people do: use whatever we used in prior years and/or going to K-Mart to buy up a lot of $1.99 ornaments. To E’s credit she did a superb job. Her place looked gorgeous not to mention the copious amounts of booze and super yummilicious treats she had put out (incidentally some of which she made herself by channeling her inner Betty Crocker). The mood was high spirited at best as holiday songs suffused the warm air of the tastefully furnished apartment.

I had thought to myself, ‘mmm, I’ll stay for an hour then I’ll head home’. Fast forward to 12:30am after having thrown back one too many shots of really amazing mandarin flavored vodka. Following are some highlights:

Spontaneous salsa dancing;
Playing flip cup (again);
Cuddly warm kitty;
Spilling red wine down the front of a really nice shirt;
Washing said shirt in the sink with the shirt-owner crammed into a bathroom;
Peering over the edge of a bed down at colleague who had promptly passed out UNDERNEATH another colleague’s bed;
Washing out kitchen sink after another colleague anointed it with puke;
Being hugged by lots of cuties in small spaces (my favorite memory);
Chopped & Screwed (don’t ask);
Standing on the roof gazing out at DC while having a smoke.

Maybe last night explains why I felt so damn fatigued all day today (though in my own defense I got my paycheck today and I realized that in the prior 2 short scant weeks, I worked 31 OT hours).

Again, good times. It’s 2:43 am, I ought to be asleep. Why am I rambling? Okay, this was worth writing. Still…sleep. That’s next on agenda.

No comments: