**This post was initially written the day after the VP debate but I never published it because the place I work actually expects me to work. Whatever. I still wanted to let the world read...enjoy :D
Ok Crickets, here's the facts. I'm not one to wax on poetically about my political views. I leave that to the 'pundits' on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, bloggospheres and my husband. I just sit back, plaster an I-have-no-view-about-all-this-because-I'm-vapid-and-insipid-and-should-never-inspire-any-sort-of-confidence-in-anyone-regarding-my-opinions, and try to look disinterested. I strongly agree with the saying that the two things which should never be talked about at the dinner table are politics and religion. That's not to say though that I don't harbor strong opinions, oh no sirree bob. I most certainly do. And when my stronger intellectual, level-headed side finds itself with its back up, that same side rears up and finds it a must to express its opinion, no matter how I promised myself I wouldn't.
Consider my back up.
Last night I sat down w/P to watch the VP debate. P had told me on many occasions that I was biased against Palin because she was a Republican and that no matter how smart she was, I would look down my short nose at her.
That had me thinking for a minute. Was I that bad? Did I allow my party affiliation so blind me that I wouldn't be willing to give people a fair chance? Wasn't what I wanted a fair chance in this world and hope that people could get over their preconceived notions in order to give me that chance?
I was horrified to discover that certainly, I was being a Democratic snob. Even after the Katie Courick and Sarah Palin interview I figured it would be worth my time to at least listen to the candidate (I was going to say woman but it's irrelevant to me, I'm more concerned with the issues...hell I'd elect a gecko into office if it knew how to fix the cluster-fuck that is our world right now). Settling down on the sofa with a bottle of water clutched in my hands I listened waiting, hoping, praying that she wasn't the twit I was fairly sure she was.
I was disappointed (and vindicated). She was clearly nervous, which I couldn't say I blamed her for yet nerves was not reason enough for why she avoided answering questions, winked at the camera repeatedly until I wanted to reach through the tube and yank her false lashes right off, did a lot of smirking and spoke in 'folksy' lingo (I find that amusing actually even as I sneer and roll my eyes).
My question is: If all she has is her looks, is that good enough to win her a seat as VP of the US?
I've heard my male colleagues, and some female for that matter, speak of how attractive she is utilizing such words as 'hot', 'milf' and 'bang-able'. I can probably see all that but it's fairly evident to me that she doesn't possess the intelligence nor (at least to me) bred in me any sort of confidence that she is ready for such a roll. I sat there still hoping that she would say something, anything, that would make me go 'oh, okay now I see why' but she talked and talked and smirked and winked and said nothing that made me feel the least bit enlightened. I at least heard her out, thoroughly.
That night after not only listening to the debate but also gorging myself in post-debate analysis, I turned off the television as unimpressed with her as I had ever been and looked to P and said pointing to the dark telly, "if that's who you think should be the next VP and potentially the person who will step in for McCain if and when he kicks the bucket, then more power to you, I'm moving to Canada."
I'm holding off looking at property until closer to the 4th!
He grimaced, shook his head but said nothing in response.
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment