Thursday, October 2, 2008

Post Ramadan Mastication Syndrome

A friend of mine, who is an incredible blogger and whose writing I read almost as if it's chocolate, indulging in small bite-sized pieces so that it lasts longer, just recently published the most recent post regarding how relieved she is that Ramadan is over. I hate to say it but I concur.

It isn't that I didn't love starving myself through the day, speaking away from people because my breath was kickin' or welcoming the debilitating headache that would often times visit me in the middle of the afternoon. No, no, that all comes parcel and package with the experience (or at least my experience).

And I also have to agree with my blogger pal that age is playing a significant role in the ability to cruise by the month with hardly a thought. In my younger years I could ignore the need for food because I didn't think about it. It's different at work when the yum smells of nutty peculating coffee drifts through the air to tease you into madness until you want to knock someone over, snatch their cup of goodness and take a long hot drink.

But now I'm facing a whole new world of problem. I've labeled it "Post Ramadan Mastication Syndrome". It where one feels distinctly guilt and uncomfortable when indulging in even the slightest morsel of sustenance. I feel guilty every time I put food (or drink) to lips. I have to do a mental pause and ask myself, 'wait can I do this?'.

When I lamented to my mother regarding this, she gave me wise words of advice. She said, 'get over it.'

And so there you have it, therapy in 3 little words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude. your mom is so awesome. that's HILARIOUS.

=)