I called her, she didn't pick up the phone. She never ever picks up her phone but when she calls back, she always sounds contrite.
I'm sorry, I hate that I have this bad reputation when it comes to phones, says she with a sigh.
I don't care, I'll call her 100 times even if she calls me back once.
That night, it was warm but a soft wind was blowing through my new town. I wanted to be outside, breath in the weather, be released from 4 confining walls. I wanted to to be with someone who I could even be quiet with and still feel...right. So I called her, harassed her, poor thing. But she was so bright, she made me smile into the phone when I felt no inclination.
I didn't even mind driving around in her neighborhood for parking and when I saw her, with her little love on a leash looking happy, a part of me smiled wider.
We sat outside talking softly, comfortable in each others presence. I felt my heart lighten as I told her about me. About my pains, about my sorrows, about ... everything (being completely selfish) and she listened. Her face was open, reflecting her understanding. She isn't the type to agree without debate. She knows how to debate better than anyone I know, but as a friend, she know when to listen. She does that so well.
As I drove away from her 45 minutes later, I thought back to the first time I saw her. Back then I had never thought that I had found my dearest friend, a woman who I would know forever, who I wanted to know forever. When she left to go somewhere else, to seak her fortune, to realize how great she was (something I knew but she didn't), I couldn't fathom not being close to her, to be able to reach her after taking only 10 steps so that I could purge. Or to be there for her when she needed to purge. My fear had been boundless.
But I didn't have to fear, did I? A Friendship like this, a connection like this, does not fade with time or distance. It does not fade when others walk into your life, nor does it fade when you have grown up to the point that the things that once brought you joy, no longer does so. She is the person I turn to in order to whisper out my heartaches. She always has a look of such deep understanding that I never feel as if I'm being anything but human.
As I tromp into the house, taking a deep breath, mind already going over the things I have to do my phone buzzes. I glance at it. It's from her. She writes: Seeing you made my day and night. I love you girl
I close the door behind me, smiling softly. I feel encompassed by love and warmth and friendship. I love her endlessly, without depth. My love for her is instinctive and I'm thankful to you Allah for her.
Thank you so much.
Friday, September 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment